Logo - Belgian Tourist Office

Home > Travel > Getting There > Tunnel Self Drive

Tunnel Self Drive



Eurotunnel: 08443 35 35 35 - www.eurotunnel.com

Documents: When driving in Belgium, you will need your driving licence with you and also a certificate of insurance. A green card card from your insurance is strongly advised.

Traffic regulation: Don’t forget that traffic drives on the right. Motorways are toll free and connect main towns and cities. The speed limit on motorways is 120 Kph (74 mph) and 90 Kph (56 mph). Within built-up areas the speed limit is 50 Kph (31 mph)

Parking meters: As in the UK, parking meters are standard in most towns and cities.

Breakdown recovery: Emergency phones are at regular intervals on motorways and are connected to an emergency control room.

Motoring in Europe: In addition to a valid driving licence and a certificate of insurance, some equipments have to be carried in your car>Headlamp Beam Adaptors: please, adapt your headlamps at any time, day or night. Warning Triangles: in the event of a breakdown or accident. Drivers must be able to give advance warning of hazard on the road. Hazard warning lights alone are not always sufficient. Spare Bulbs: drivers must be in position to replace any blown exterior light.

First aid kit & fire extinguisher: The European Good Samaritan law requires every driver to stop and provide assistance in the event of an accident.

Reflective vest: Motoring law in an increasing number of of European Countries now requires all vehicles to carry reflective vests, for drivers and passengers, to use in the event of breakdowns or emergencies.

GB stickers: compulsory. In some countries outside the EU a conventional sticker is required even if you have euro-plates, so it is always safer to display one.


Bookmark and Share

Belgian Tourist Office Wallonia 217 Marsh Wall London E14 9FJ Tel: 0207 531 0390 info@belgiumtheplaceto.be